Vegan Red Lentil and Carrot Soup with a Zesty Twist of Lemon
This is a simple recipe for red lentils and carrots. The recipe is made with minimal ingredients. I have added red pepper, but it’s optional. It’s probably best to skip the option. The recipe is vegan, but if you want to add some natural yogurt at the very end, that’s fine.
It’s easy to make, and doesn’t require much work. All you have to do is chop the vegetables. After you have sauteed the onions, added red lentils, and carrots to a saucepan you are done. Let it simmer and check the soup several times to ensure it doesn’t stick. Add water if/when needed.
This soup is great for those who don’t want to spend too much time cooking.
The soup can be prepared the day before. It is healthy, filling and easy to make. It shouldn’t take longer than 40 minutes (including prep time) to prepare the soup.
Do not forget to add lemon juice towards the end. This will make the soup more tasty and essential for iron absorption. It can be blended a bit with a handheld blender to bring all the flavors together.
Add some healthy bread and a salad to the soup, and you have a complete meal.
Red Lentil Soup with Carrots and Lemon
A simple red lentil and carrots soup with lemon that is vegan.
- Red split lentils, organic 2 cups
- Slice 1 medium carrot
- Chop 1 red or brown onion
- Use 1-2 tablespoons of organic, unrefined virgin coconut oil to fry an onion (or extra virgin rapeseed or rapeseed oils).
- 3 cloves garlic
- Vegetable stock cubes or 500 ml organic vegetable stock
- Half a teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Red paprika, 1/2 tsp
- Ground cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice to taste
- Separately chop the onion and garlic.
- Slice the carrots thinly and then quarter or half them.
- Heat the coconut (or rapeseed) oil in a saucepan.
- Fry the onion slices on medium heat until they are soft.
- Add the garlic, and cook for a few seconds. If it sticks to the pan, add some water.
- Add the red split lentils to the pan. Add the carrots at the same time.
- Add the vegetable stock or water and vegetable stock Cube.
- Add all the spices, including turmeric, sweet red pepper paprika, and cumin.
- Let it cook for 20 minutes.
- If the soup is too thick at the end, you can add more water. To thicken the soup, add a teaspoon of cornflour to a small amount of water.
- Serve the soup with lemon juice. This is a must-have ingredient! This ingredient makes the soup taste amazing and helps the iron in lentils absorb into your body better. If you prefer, you can have the red lentil and carrots soup with a slice of brown toast.